"This Friday: the United Kingdom will leave the European Union, with little change in the movement of goods."
After several years of discussions and negotiations between the United Kingdom and the Member States of the European Union, an agreement was finally signed between Brussels and London on 24 January.
This agreement, which has since been validated by the British Parliament and enacted by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, ratifies the United Kingdom's departure from the European Union on Friday 31 January at 11.00pm. From 1 February, a so-called "transition" period will begin until 31 December* of this year, according to the conditions set out in the withdrawal agreement. This period will allow everyone - citizens, consumers, businesses, investors, students, researchers, etc. - to prepare for the implementation of the withdrawal agreement and anticipate the future relationship between the European Union and the United Kingdom. In the meantime, the British will continue to benefit from European rules while continuing to apply them.
Transit of goods between the European Union and United Kingdom
With regards to the movement of goods, as summarised in a memo from the European Commission, "the European Union will treat the United Kingdom as if it were a Member State". Therefore, no customs declaration needs to be validated for import, or export to the United Kingdom, during this period.
For more information (memo from the European Commission): https://ec.europa.eu
* If both parties agree, this transition period could be extended once, for a maximum of two years.
- le vendredi 31 janvier : le Royaume-Uni quittera l’Union européenne, peu de changement concernant la circulation des marchandises - (94.31 KB)
- Le port du Havre a réalisé un test grandeur nature avant l'entrée en vigueur du BrexitENTRÉE EN VIGUEUR DU BREXIT - (64.87 KB)
- This Friday - the United Kingdom will leave the European Union, with little change in the movement of goods - (274.11 KB)
- THE PORT OF LE HAVRE CONDUCTS A FULL-SCALE TEST BEFORE BREXIT COMES INTO FORCE - (192 KB)